Latest News Blog

An archive of thoughts, ideas, journeys and visuals. Check back frequently for regular updates.

Development continues…

Revisiting Beary Poppins's torso, I began tidying up the form, adding and removing virtual wax to replicate the behaviour of fabric. I split the jacket from the skirt to be able to work on them individually. 

Working on the sculpt as a series of separated forms allowed me to switch between elements. As I learned a technique on one element, I could visit another and apply it there too, thus benefitting the whole piece. 

As the torso was coming together, I needed to create her hands. With both hands effectively grasping something, I started with a basic sphere and massaged it into a hand shape. I also searched around the house to gather gloves for reference and wore them as I worked to see how they creased and distorted when in use. 

Once I was happy with Ms Poppins's hand, I duplicated and flipped it to create a left and right and applied them to the jacket's cuffs.

Next, with a hand already in place to accept it, I made the umbrella.
One error in my early modelling was that I made the handle too long and fragile. This was later made more robust and shorter.
One shortcut I took with the umbrella was replicating the head from way back at the beginning of the project and shrinking it to fit. I think a bear-headed brolly would be a very marketable product!

Once made, the completed brolly was imported into the assemblage and distorted to fit within the hand and swell either side.
 

Then, onto the carpet bag. I made a box that represented the kind of space I wanted it to occupy, then opened that in a new document – safety first – remember?

As before, starting with very simple forms, I began modifying the basic cube.
For manufacturing purposes, the contents of the bag are to be created separately and fitted later. To achieve that, I wanted a hole and a form that matched so I could be sure it would fit and one would plug into the other. You might reacall the way I constructed the hemispherical ear. The same principle was used. A shaped block was used as a void to create the hole, then a duplicate would fit precisely. The block will be called upon later.

Once the overall shape was arrived at, I 'decorated the bag with raised lines. This was done by taking a screen shot of the top and side elevations of the bag and taking these snapshots into Photoshop to make a design to fit. The design was then brought back into ZBrush and used to 'bump' the surface with a custom 'alpha' brush. With any surface design requiring painted panels, it's advisable to provide the factory with something physical to follow – to colour in, if you like. 

With the addition of a simple handle, which started life liiking temptingly like a bar of chocolate, the bag was added to the model. 

Next time, we fill the bag with naughtiness!

 

More soon.

 

To be among the first to read about my ZBrush explorations and exploits, sign up to the free-to-join Bad Taste Bears Club.

Members of the club receive advance and exclusive updates long before anybody else.

Follow the link to find out more!

http://www.badtastebears.co.uk/the-bad-taste-bears-club